Friday, April 20, 2012

Mockingjay


Finished the final book of the Hunger Games trilogy. Emotionally drained. I looked online for a reason the book could end so horribly, and then I came across this. The most sensical explanation that actually made me feel a little better! ***SPOILER ALERT***

 "It wasn't at all what I was expecting. I hated how her relationship with Gale got completely torn apart, and how when the final bombs went off in the capitol (I can't believe Prim died!!) she was unconscious and didn't even experience the Capitol's defeat. Really, what I was expecting was a really epic ending where she breaks into the Capitol building and epically defeats Snow....I also did not like how things completely broke apart after that. She's so emotionally drained and things get so rushed. When she returns to District 12 she just sits around in her kitchen all depressed. Even when Peeta comes back for her it's all really dead. And once again, I was so mad when things with Gale ended so awfully.

So it wasn't the ending I was expecting (or hoped for) but I do get what Suzanne Collins was trying to achieve in this last book. She clearly showed the traumatic effects of war, and that often both sides are responsible for unjustified deaths of innocent people (i.e. Coin's bombing of the children), and that even when an oppressive government is overthrown, it's impossible to just forget all the tragic loss that war has brought. That's why the author didn't include any scenes of happily rejoicing people despite their "liberation." In no way does she try to glorify war. She shows it as it is. She illustrates how it changes people and tears relationships apart.... All in all, Suzanne Collins makes you FEEL the effects of war. She drags you through suspense and excitement, despair and depression, and finally by the end of the book you feel emotionally drained.

Mockingjay wasn't what I was expecting or hoping for, but I definitely recognize Suzanne Collins as an incredibly talented writer, and one that shares important messages through her literary work."

-- world peace! on Yahoo Ask

I agree with this person 100%. It doesn't take away the fact that I am still emotionally drained! This is one of those books that you can't get out of your head. It haunts you days and days after you've finished reading it.

No comments:

Post a Comment